[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 03:55:27 UTC 2006

On Apr 11, 2006, at 19.45, Ryan Pisani wrote:

>> Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> not as much as the $2000 spent on Myth... (well, whatever amount...
>>> lump some payments always seem like more than monthly ones).

Actually, unless you're keeping your TiVo for 12.9 years, your Myth
system was more than your monthly fee for TiVo.

I managed to build my Myth system for $275 ($400, if you count the
hardware I already owned):

$75 for a Celeron 600 box (back end)
$100 for improving and expanding my wired network infrastructure
$100 for a PVR-150
$129 for an XBox (I already owned this, and built my system around it)

>> hear hear. MythTV only makes sense as a hobby or if you need the
>> added
>> functionality/disk space.
>> Tivo is cheaper (and probably easier to use and possibly more
>> reliable)
>> by far. I suspect that might
>> change as time marches on though.
>>

> What! Mythtv has so many other features that make it well worth the
> higher
> off the ground cost.

I dunno. My Myth system seems very intimidating to the rest of my
family. Sometimes I think they would get more use out of a TiVo, or
the ComCast DVR.

> The video manager and the ability to play all types
> of compressed formats on the TV is priceless in my opinion.

Actually, I HATE the video manager. I don't want a video MANAGER. I
think that XBMC makes a far better multimedia player than what MythTV
currently has installed. I reboot my XBox for watching non-Myth
videos all the time. I'd love to see a similar video manager
implemented into MythTV. Or something like XBMC's web interface.

> Also the
> ability to export / compress & burn in one unit. All top notch
> qualities.

Ahh, true. A very nice feature. TiVo can do that too, depending on
the TiVo unit you buy.

But, don't get me wrong, I love MythTV. I wouldn't have bought a
TiVo, even if my cable company was offering some kind of special with
it. So that "well worth the higher off the ground" cost is very
subjective. For me, $2000 is far too much. For my family, this Myth
system would be the same. I just feel that this is all subjective,
and that someone should point that out.