[mythtv-users] Troubles controlling multiple cable boxes

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 20:59:03 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, obscure information. <obscure411 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The standard response from my cable company is how I should pay an
> additional fee every month to move to digital.  Not exactly the response one
> hopes for, but unsuprising as I've had these cable boxes for 5 years and
> seriously doubted anyone would remember how to set one up.
>
> Can someone advise me as to an effective way to identify what base addresses
> and IRQ's are currently being assigned to this PCI card?  I've used the
> lspci -vv command, but I'm not seeing anything that I recognize as a address
> or valid IRQ (ie I'm seeing things like IRQ 217 for an I/O card which I
> think is the PCI serial card)
>
> I'm sure if I can figure out the address and IRQ's, I can just use setserial
> commands and some slightly revised instructions from lircsetup, but I seem
> to be at a loss to find this information.
>
> SIIG has the following on their website (
> http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050221):
>
> 4) Go to the proc directory.
>
> 5) Open the pci file.
>
> 6) Search for vendor ID 131f.
>
> 7) Write down the port address and IRQ number (for example: 0xd400 and IRQ
> 12).
>
> When I open this file, I cannot find anything even resembling 131f.
>
> I contacted their technical support as well and told them this.  After a
> weeklong delay, I was told that "The card's firmware could be corrupted.
> Please exchange the board for another one where you purchased it."
>
> Somehow, I don't think this is an issue the card.
>
> As always, further help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~Andrew
>

> On 4/10/06, Brian Wood < beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >

> > I just googled for CFT-2200 and found some info, but nothing about
> changing remote codes.
> >

> > This doesn't mean it can't be done, if possible you should just ask your
> cable company about using multiple boxes. If it turns out you can do this it
> will make oyur life much simpler because even if you work out using multiple
> serial ports you will still have to isolate the boxes from each other
> optically.

Not sure what you need the IRQs for if linux has already configured them...
Just make sure you run "setserial uart none" for each of them.
Then for each run "lirc -d /dev/ttyS# --output /dev/lircd#" or
something to that effect depending on your preference.

--
Thanks,
Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>