[mythtv-users] Stuttering FE

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 18:56:58 UTC 2006

> So do your logs give any information? What is your CPU load when this
> is happening? What about the network connecting the two machines? I'd
> think the first thing to do is narrow it down to a FE, BE or network
> problem.

The network connection between these two machines hasn't changed.  It's a
switched 10/100 Cat5e network.  I do not know the command to test CPU
times.  Sorry to be a pain but I know just enough to get MythTV running on
Linux, and not enough of the internal workings of Linux (in my case, FC5).
I went to the /var/log/mythtv directory and I am not seeing any log files.
Where can I enable logging?

Can you run a FE on the BE machine and if so does that work OK?

I have had problems with the video drivers and audio drivers on the  BE.  I
don't think I can run a FE on it.

Normally when it was working well and then changes you just want to
> look at "what changed", but you have changed so much that you might
> as well look at it as a new situation.

I have run this command:

dmesg |grep DMA

And i received this output:

[root at HomeTheater proc]# dmesg |grep DMA
  DMA zone: 4096 pages, LIFO batch:0
  DMA32 zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:0
NFORCE2: 0000:00:09.0 (rev a2) UDMA133 controller
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: 39102336 sectors (20020 MB) w/1916KiB Cache, CHS=38792/16/63, UDMA(100)
hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)

This makes me think that DMA is enabled and working.  So we can rule
that out.  Do I need to run MythFrontEnd with a special switch in
order to get logging?  Again, sorry for the noob questions.

Jim