[mythtv-users] Stuttering FE

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:38:19 UTC 2006

Sorry about that!   Here are the details.

You didn't mention what hardware you are using, whether you are

> recording/watching HD or SD and perhaps some details of your system.

I am recording and watching SD TV.  I have a PVR-350 and PVR-250 in my
backend machine.  The BE is an Athlon 2600+ with 512 MB RAM and an 80GB
drive.  It is running kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 with the latest Myth from
ATrpms as of last week.  The FE is an Athlon 2500+ with 512MB RAM and a 20GB
drive.  It is running kernel 2.6.16-1.2069_FC4 and the latest Myth from
ATrpms as of last week.  It should be noted that these two systems were
running perfectly well under FC3 and Myth .18.1.  I did a full re-build on
my FE because of the new LIRC 0.8 that would make my MCE remote control
useable.    I simply ran yum install mythtv per Jarod's instructions to
upgrade my BE.

Your system may simply lack the horsepower to do what you are asking,
> if it does have the power required you could have an interrupt
> problem, a PCI latency problem, a disk system setup problem (are you
> using DMA?),

I wouldn't think that I would have an interrupt problem (or latency) just
due to the fact that the BE had Myth upgraded and nothing else.  I also
don't think that DMA would be an issue on the FE because I am watching
videos through XINE without difficulty.

problems with your video driver (nVidia 8178 using vsync?).

I am using 8178 but I haven't done anything with VSYNC in my xorg.conf.

So some more information will make it easier to diagnose you problem,
> I infer that it was working before you rebuilt it so it is probably a
> correctable situation.

It was working fine before the upgrade.  I do appreciate everyone's help.
This list is an invaluable resource for newb's like me!

Jim