[mythtv-users] Stuttering FE

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 10 14:59:45 UTC 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 8:51 AM, James Oltman wrote:

> I just rebuilt my FE machine to have FC4 with kernel 2.6.16-1.  I
> also installed the latest MythTV from ATrpms last week.  Now, I am
> having problems with the FE stuttering on myth recordings and on
> LiveTV.  I will be watching a recording or LiveTV and it all of the
> sudden the video and audio will stop, hang for brief second, then
> continue.  It does this quite often.  I thought that it was a
> problem when the BE was recording, but it happens even when it's
> not recording.  I can reboot the FE while the BE is recording and
> the problem goes away.  But not for long.  This does not happen
> when I watch MythVideo.  I am using Xine to play my videos and
> there is no stuttering problem.  This leads me to believe that it
> is not a problem with X, but I am no Linux expert by any stretch of
> the imagination.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

You didn't mention what hardware you are using, whether you are
recording/watching HD or SD and perhaps some details of your system.

Your system may simply lack the horsepower to do what you are asking,
if it does have the power required you could have an interrupt
problem, a PCI latency problem, a disk system setup problem (are you
using DMA?), problems with your video driver (nVidia 8178 using vsync?).

So some more information will make it easier to diagnose you problem,
I infer that it was working before you rebuilt it so it is probably a
correctable situation.