[mythtv-users] New to HD, which nvidia card

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Apr 10 02:39:29 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 20:53 -0500, Brad wrote:
> Do I need to use XvMC?  I have an AMD 64 and have never had
> load issues. On the other hand, I will be setting this up soon
> with another capture card so it could potentially at any time
> be capturing 2 streams (one in HD), playing one HD feed, and streaming
> SDTV to a remote frontend.  I guess I should plan
> on using XvMC.

Depends on the AMD64 processor. I have a dual core AMD64
4200+ and it has no problem at all with HD decoding.
The extra  recording overhead isn't an issue with one
additional HD stream. Recording uses very little CPU
with ATSC/DVB broadcasts because they are already
encoded when transmitted. They do use extra disk
bandwidth, but until you get to three streams this is
usually not an issue. Even with three streams you should
be able to handle it with a  JFS or XFS filesystem.

A 2.8Ghz HT P4 can handle 1080i decoding without resorting
to XvMC, a similarly classed AMD 64 chip should be able to
handle it as well.

-- Daniel