[mythtv-users] OT: Is playing DVD's on Linux legal in the US yet?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 10 02:23:52 UTC 2006

On 04/09/2006 09:41 PM, Chad wrote:
> Good point, but that would mean plutohome or mythic don't distribute
> 'complete' systems, assuming their systems use these external players
> (xine, mplayer, vlc) and don't include them.  Which is fine, I'm just
> wondering if that's the case, or if they are not the ones who will be
> getting in trouble should someone care to make a big deal out of it.

AIUI, Linux media players do not distribute a capability to decrypt
DVD's.  Instead, if the running media player detects the existence of
libdvdcss on the system, it will use the library to decrypt the DVD.

Therefore, to get the player to decrypt DVD's, the user must download
and install libdvdcss of his/her own prerogative.  Anyone who does so
must take full responsibility for the consequences of doing so.

Mike