[mythtv-users] OT: Is playing DVD's on Linux legal in the US yet?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 01:41:51 UTC 2006

On 4/9/06, Kurt Yoder <ktymyth at yoderhome.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Chad wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the fast follow up!
> >
> > So who is held 'liable'?  For companies like Mythic.tv and plutohome,
> > do they not distribute all of mythtv; or is it the end user who is
> > technicially 'breaking the law' if they wrongfully play/rip a
> > commercial DVD in linux?
>
> I'm not sure how Mythic.tv and plutohome work. However, the Myth
> movie player seems to rely on external player software. These in turn
> require download of the "workaround" code to allow DVD playback on
> Linux. So the end user has to actively download this code (from
> outside the USA?) in order to play back DVD's under Linux.
>

> --
>
> Kurt Yoder
> http://yoderhome.com

Good point, but that would mean plutohome or mythic don't distribute
'complete' systems, assuming their systems use these external players
(xine, mplayer, vlc) and don't include them.  Which is fine, I'm just
wondering if that's the case, or if they are not the ones who will be
getting in trouble should someone care to make a big deal out of it.

Chad