[mythtv-users] alternative GPU - graphics cards with opensource drivers question

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 06:29:08 UTC 2006

Jason Weinstein wrote:
> I know this thread is a bit old, but I found this card at newegg:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814272001
>
> It is a "S3 Graphics Chrome S27 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
> - Retail". Could this card be used for Unichrome Pro XvMC in MythTV?
> It is $80 and has S-Video and DVI out.
>
> I know it is only PCI-x, but if it does support XvMC then it may be a
> preferable option to the nVidia cards. The newer nVidia drivers cause
> problems with XvMC and the older drivers that worked well don't work
> with newer kernels. And I believe the newer nVidia cards don't do XvMC
> very well anyway.

The DeltaChrome products are AGP and the GammaChrome, Chrome S25 &
Chrome S27 are PCI Express PCIe [1] and my gut feeling is that once the
drivers are made to work on one of the non-integrated boards the rest
should fall into place relatively easily.
I'm vaguely following progress and here are the useful posts so far.

http://wiki.openchrome.org/pipermail/openchrome-users/2005-November/000038.html
http://wiki.openchrome.org/pipermail/openchrome-users/2005-November/000043.html
http://wiki.openchrome.org/pipermail/openchrome-users/2005-November/000048.html
and
http://wiki.openchrome.org/pipermail/openchrome-users/2006-March/000821.html
are relevant to DeltaChrome products
http://wiki.openchrome.org/pipermail/openchrome-users/2006-February/000648.html
http://wiki.openchrome.org/pipermail/openchrome-users/2006-February/000649.html
talk about all the non-integrated S3 Chrome products.

The long and the short of it is that if / when the openchrome drivers
support the non-integrated S3 Chrome products they should probably also
support the full MPEG acceleration of their on-board cousins, but
there's quite a bit of code hacking to do first.

[1] note, PCIe or PCI-e not PCIx or PCI-X or any other variant with x in
it, PCI-X is 64 bit parallel PCI running at 133 MHz used in servers and
the like for quite a while now, PCIe is PCI Express the shiny new serial
PCI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X