[mythtv-users] Nvidia just released 8756.

Harry Orenstein holists at verizon.net
Sun Apr 9 04:25:20 UTC 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 10:37 pm, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Greg Grotsky wrote:
> > I'm trying it now...
>
> Anyone using SVIDEO out for TV (fe/be)?
>
> When using this new nvidia driver, I can't get my second xserver to
> start, but it did in v7676 fine (I have a CRT on the VGA connector and a
> TV on the SVIDEO connector.)
>
>  I get the following errors in Xorg.0.log:
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(1): Unable to find available Display Devices for screen 1.
> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
> (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
>

> Screen 0 (a CRT) works fine.
>
> And, xorg sees the screen at the beginning of boot:
>
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Apr  8 19:25:16 2006
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> (==) ServerLayout "single-head configuration"
> (**) |-->Screen "ScreenLCD" (0)
> (**) |   |-->Monitor "MonitorLCD"
> (**) |   |-->Device "nvidiaLCD"
> (**) |-->Screen "ScreenTV" (1)
> (**) |   |-->Monitor "MonitorTV"
> (**) |   |-->Device "nvidiaTV"
>
> And, I can see the boot text on the TV as the machine is booting.
>

> On a lark, here's a question:
> I installed the *686 version of the kernel modules from atrpms.  Do you
> think that has anything to do with it since I'm on a Athlon64 3200 (I'm
> in 32 bit mode).   Just grabbing for anything here. It's got me stumped.
> Everything else seems to work fine (I can start mythtv on the CRT and it
> runs ok.)
>
> thanks

Brad,

I got it to work using:

UseDisplayDevice "TV-0"

instead of:

ConnectedMonitor "TV"

now, if I could just figure out how to do 800x600.  It seems to no longer be
available as a valid mode.  Only 1024x768, 720x480 and 640x480 appear to be
valid with the new driver.  Two steps forward, one step back.

Anyone out there know how to get 800x600 working on TV with the latest driver?
I tried using a few of the modelines in the user mailing list archive, but no
dice.

-- Harry O.