[mythtv-users] [OT] nvidia 8756: XvMC works!

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 22:08:21 UTC 2006

--- Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/8/06, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Jurgen Kramer <gtm.kramer at inter.nl.net> wrote:

> <gtm.kramer at inter.nl.net>
> > > livna on my main PC to see

> soon so
> > > I can upgrade my

> (preferred
> > > colorspace: MPEG1/2
> IDCT
> > > as output csp (no 0)
> correct
> > > movie aspect.
> Motion
> > > Compensation and IDCT
> id=54434449
> > > on 274 port at 0
> allocated -
> > > 8 surfaces
> > > rendering

> over
> > > until it worked
> makes it
> > > hard on a dedicated
> off
> > > the bat, that will
> > > (interlacing and now
> > >
> > > On my main PC, which has a 6800GS, XvMC was not
> > > working at all because
> > > of a bug in the driver. On my myth system, which
> has
> > > a 6200, I only got:
> > >
> > > Error while decoding frame!
> > > [mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x86b2c00]XvMCLoadQMatrix:
> Error:
> > > 2
> > > [mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x86b2c00]XvMCBeginSurface:
> Error:
> > > 2
> > > Error while decoding frame!
> > > [mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x86b2c00]XvMCLoadQMatrix:
> Error:
> > > 2
> > > [mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x86b2c00]XvMCBeginSurface:
> Error:
> > > 2
> > >
> > > Hopefully these errors will be gone as well.
> I'll
> > > wait for the atrpms
> > > packages. So far it looks promising, it would
> save
> > > me a CPU upgrade on
> > > my myth fe/be system.
> > >
> > > Jurgen

> > I just installed it from the ATrpms packages, and
> it
> > pulled in the 2.6.16-1 kernel, which of course
> means
> > an ivtv, alsa and lirc update (at least in the
> kernel
> > modules, anyway).
> >
> > Unfortunately, XvMC seems broken with OpenGL vsync
> > enabled (at least on my version of SVN), and I got
> > hard lockup on my MythTV machine (combined
> > backend/frontend) when I tried changing channels
> while
> > watching LiveTV on my FusionHDTV 5 Lite ATSC card.
> >
> > Given this, I think I'm just going to bite the
> bullet
> > and get a new CPU.  My Athlon64 3200+ (socket 754)
> is
> > almost powerful enough for HD without XvMC
> (sometimes
> > I get the odd prebuffering pause, but only when a
> [...]

Actually, mythfrontend is eating up my CPU - and lots
of it.  Depending on which channel/show I'm watching,
mythfrontend eats anywhere between 30 and 90+%
(usually hovers around 70%) of the CPU and around 50%
of my memory.  X eats up about 8-22% of my CPU, and
after that, the most that happens (which changes) is
about 6%, which goes to mythbackend.  (Note that not
all tasks always run at their maximums, otherwise,
obviously I'm at greater than 100% all the time.)

Idle constantly changes (of course), but it gets to 0%
 very often.  I think that the only reason why this
works as well as it does is because the wait
percentage is usually hovering between 10 and 20%.  My
load numbers are relatively high (4.53, 2.87, 1.31).

I'm a decent programmer, but I can't read "top" for
crap.  One of these days I'll sit down to figure it
out.

That said, if excessive amounts of disk activity
occur, I get choppiness and sometimes prebuffering
pauses.  Scrolling through the guide when watching
ATSC (digital or HD) is completely unbearable.

Here's the specs of my machine:
Athlon64 3200+
512MB of RAM (DDR333 or DDR400, I don't remember)
250GB hard drive (ext3 for the root partition, XFS for
the MythTV storage partition)
SiS755 chipset
1x PVR-250
1x PVR-350
1x FusionHDTV 5 Lite
5200FX using nVidia driver 7676
Fedora Core 4 with ATrpms, except for MythTV itself
MythTV SVN 0.19.20060226-1 (a fairly oldish build, I
admit)
I'm using ffmpeg (not libmpeg),I have OpenGL vsync on
and Bob deinterlacing enabled.  XvMC is disabled.

If you've got any ideas that can help me get this
working, that would be great, since it would save me
some money on a new CPU and motherboard.

-- Joe