[mythtv-users] 'Censoring' decoding 'bad' words off of Closed Captioning

Steve Meyers steve-lists-mythtv at spamwiz.com
Fri Apr 7 21:30:28 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> My personal opinion is that it is a wasted effort. Who are you trying
> to protect ?? Even if it is kids, they are going to encounter such
> language in the real world and are better served by being educated as
> to what such language is, that it is improper in most cases etc.

Believe it or not, some adults don't enjoy hearing "bad" words, and I'm
not just talking about the F word.  Several shows that I enjoy are great
except for words like "ass" that seem to be increasingly prevalent in
network TV.  Also, lots of good family shows don't seem to mind taking
the Lord's name in vain ("oh my God").  I know most people don't care
about that, but some of us do.

I've actually been looking into doing the same thing.  I'm just
finishing getting my MythTV set up, and the one thing that will be a
negative for it is that our TVGuardian won't work with it.  TVGuardian
does exactly what the original poster asked for, but it would require
the stream coming out of the MythTV to include the closed captioning.
(BTW - it doesn't work with real time closed captioning, only
phrase-based closed captioning)

I'd be willing to donate money to someone who could code that up.  A
TVGuardian costs about $50 or so, so I'll give $50 to the person who
gets that working.  Ideally, I would like to see it have a dynamic word
or regular expression list, and be able to default it to off in the
recording settings.