[mythtv-users] 'Censoring' decoding 'bad' words off of Closed Captioning

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 7 19:51:05 UTC 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 1:36 PM, James Armstrong wrote:

> I just upgraded to FC4 and the latest IVTV drivers and now have Closed
> Captioning working on local HD and recordings off of Dishnetwork. Has
> anyone thought about 'bleeping' bad words for phrases from shows as
> they
> are playing be looking at the CC data? There are products that do this
> built into VCR's / DVD players and Windows PC software. I think this
> would be a great feature to Myth. Also I took a brief look at the CC
> decoding code and see where V-Chip information is decoded. We can also
> block certain levels of ratings by password. Once the password is
> entered, you can watch shows for X number of hours until there is no
> activity, then it will prompt again.
>
> Just a thought. I could look into it more if someone would give me
> pointers. Is the CC data stored in the file or decoded in real time
> while watching the show? What part of the code puts it on the
> decodes it
> / reads it from the file / and puts it on the screen?

It certainly wouldn't work with live programming that is captioned
(like newscasts). These are captioned in "real time", which means
that the captions are somewhat delayed from the actual audio.

It might work on pre-produced material where the captions are added
in post production.

My personal opinion is that it is a wasted effort. Who are you trying
to protect ?? Even if it is kids, they are going to encounter such
language in the real world and are better served by being educated as
to what such language is, that it is improper in most cases etc.

If the children are really too young to be exposed to such language,
then they shouldn't be watching TV without direct parental guidance
in any case. For people of that age, TV should be for education and
not a babysitter.

Just my opinion though, and since I do not have any kids it's
probably not worth much :-)