[mythtv-users] 'Censoring' decoding 'bad' words off of Closed Captioning

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Fri Apr 7 20:06:16 UTC 2006

> My personal opinion is that it is a wasted effort. Who are you trying
> to protect ?? Even if it is kids, they are going to encounter such
> language in the real world and are better served by being educated as
> to what such language is, that it is improper in most cases etc.
>
> If the children are really too young to be exposed to such language,
> then they shouldn't be watching TV without direct parental guidance
> in any case. For people of that age, TV should be for education and
> not a babysitter.
>
> Just my opinion though, and since I do not have any kids it's
> probably not worth much :-)

Plus, in my experience, CC is often riddled with typos and the like
(since it's hand-typed), so you'd need to do a lot more than just look
for the F word, you'd have to look for any combination of symbols and
other noise in the word, and there's a good chance it would be missed
or paraphrased anyway.

Just your luck, you'd get this whole thing working and the CC typist
would type out "[expletive]" instead of the actual word, so the audio
would still get through.

I agree with the other poster, I think your best bet is to just block
channels that have expletives on them. Plus, the expletives are
nothing compared to the sex/violence on tv - any channel that would
require you to bleep out the F word probably has all the sex and
violence to accompany that rating of program.

Now reading the V-chip information out of the file is a pretty good
idea. That way you could censor the TV on a per-show basis instead of
a per-channel basis. (ie, a channel like Cartoon Network is
appropriate for kids to watch unattended....but not after 10pm or so
when it becomes Adult Swim - TV-MA).