[mythtv-users] OT Bootloader that can detect how machinewasst arted?

Dawson, Guy Guy.Dawson at eu.sony.com
Fri Apr 7 07:58:09 UTC 2006

> >Does anyone know of a way of have a PC boot into Windows if the power
> > > button is pressed, or into Linux in response to a WakeOverLan event.
> > >
> > >The most powerful machine I have is the machine used by the whole
> > >family for gaming and surfing.  It seems such a waste not to use it
> > >for transcoding.  So what I thought was s that I'd set it up for
> > >dual boot (no problem with that).  However it's not easy getting
> > >machine time (kids are addicted to The Sims), so I though it would
> > >bee good if my myth backend wake it up during the day when there's
> > >no-one around. (Or maybe I'm just crazy!)

> > My first though was "that's not possible", but after thinking about
> > it some more I think you can probably cobble something together
> > with wake-on-lan and network boot. The PC in question would have
> > to be set up to boot from a tftp server (most modern BIOSes can do
> > this, but if yours does not you can use the 'grub' bootloader and
> > set it up for tftp boot).

> Quite a few of the newer BIOSes have the ability to set a different boot
> order for WoL compared to normal power up.

> Other than that, I agree that a PXE boot that hands a different config
> depending on a flag somewhere shouldn't be too difficult.

> Graham

Hmm...

I hadn't thought that far 'outside the box' (quite literally in this case).

My initial response was going to be that I did not want the family PC
dependant on the backend, but of course it wouldn't be since in the absence
of the BE the PC would eventually give up on PXE and revert to windows.
That led me to think that I might be able to do it by having the BE ignore
PXE requests from the PC unless the BE had sent the WOL.

All I have to do now is figure out how to do all this,  and find the time to
try!!

Thanks Again

Guy

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the sender.  The views expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Sony or Sony affiliated companies.  Sony email is for business use only.

This email and any response may be monitored by Sony to be in compliance with Sony’s global policies and standards