[mythtv-users] TapeWorm - a Mea Culpa.

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Fri Apr 7 03:49:22 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 22:40, David Woods wrote:
> Isaac et al.
>
> My apologies.  It was certainly not my intent to misuse your list or to
> offend anyone.
>
> I will certainly move any support for TapeWorm off list immediately.

Thank you.

> My intent was to offer something I thought some of the people in this
> community would find valuable.  Based on the response I got, I think some
> in your community did find it valuable.  Isaac, I will defer to your
> preference about whether I may announce new releases on this list in the
> future, so please let me know if that would be okay, and if so, under what
> terms.  (I don't anticipate that new releases will be common after this
> first week of feedback.)

Sure, it's valuable to those running windows.  I certainly won't disagree with
that.  And because it _is_ valuable to those users, I'm fine with the
occasional release announcement.  Just not 50+ support messages.

> Clearly, there are norms on this list that differ from other online
> development communities I am part of.  That was not evident to me from
> reading the list over the last few weeks.  I do apologize for violating
> those norms.  I meant no offense.

AFAIK, there isn't anyone else explicitly advertising (beyond the very
occasional announcement) and requesting feedback/doing support for non-free
software on this list.

Just to make it a little clearer, I'd have much less of a problem if the
donation were just a suggestion rather than "required".  I'd even support it
(ie, link from mythtv.org) if it were open source.  Querying the db and
displaying a list takes what, a couple hundred lines of python max?  However
you license your work is, of course, completely up to you.  It'd just fit in
better here if it were open source. =)

Isaac