[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 03:12:26 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >> Fortunately, no "normal consumer" needs an HD-capable mpeg encoder,
> >> since the signals they're receiving will already be encoded.

You're making the assumption that the decoder and the recorder are
always the same device. I don't think that is true. If I had two HD
sources (say cable and satellite) there is no way I'd want two
separate recording systems, and I wouldn't want a single system forced
to record in SD either. I'd want a single recorder capable of
recording HD. Since decoders generally won't output the mpeg stream
directly (due to the MPAA's aversion to perfect digital copying) this
means an HD mpeg encoder.

> Sorry to have to break this to you, but if you're building your own
> myth box, you're not a "normal consumer"... ;)

That's true, but I don't think "normal consumers" are going to be
happy if they can't buy a device capable of taking an HD video input
and recording it.

Steve