[mythtv-users] using WinTV PVR-350 to play AM/FM radio? (slightly OT)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 5 22:43:11 UTC 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:47 PM, Jeff Simpson wrote:

> On 4/4/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> >> Do you have your antenna plugged in? You won't get anything
> >> without it.
> >
> > first thing I did...  but in fact it gives me the same noise with
> > or without it.
>
> Ok, well mine was working and doesn't any more. Not sure what I would
> have changed to give me the same noise you're getting.
>
> What noise are we talking about? Is it a static no-signal kind of
> white noise? or a high-pitch screetchy sort of noise?
>
> The output of /dev/video24 is raw audio, so if you don't tell aplay
> what format to read it in, it will sound like screetchy death-
> metal. Try using this command:
>
> aplay -f dat < /dev/video24
>
> the "dat" specifies 48000 Hz, 16 bits, stereo, little-endian
>
> alternatively, you can pipe it through sox for an ogg or mp3
> conversion:
>
> cat /dev/video24 | sox -t raw -r 48000 -w -s -c 2 - -t ogg out.ogg
> cat /dev/video24 | sox -t raw -r 48000 -w -s -c 2 - -t mp3 out.mp3
>
> I just learned all of this yesterday :-)

Yeah, aplay -f dat /dev/video24 plays the TV audio without a problem.
This is what I get through ivtv-radio:
[mythtv at mythtv ~]$ ivtv-radio -f 95.5
set to freq 95.50
Running: aplay -f dat < /dev/video24
Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
Hz, Stereo

Starts off with a low rumbling noise, then changes to a normal "I
can't get anything on this frequency" noise.