[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Apr 5 21:33:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 01:03:29PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> The only thing I find easier about Tivo over Myth currently is setup.

My biggest problem is the lack of proper support for Debian systems:

I haven't been able to use MythVideo, MythDVD or MythMusic on my XBox
front-end (Xebian 1.1.4, 2.4 kernel) for months because of
broken/missing dependencies.
On my desktop machine (Debian with 2.6.12 kernel and Radeon 9600) I
can run mplayer or xine just fine, but if I try to watch a Myth
recording the X session seems to lock the machine -- the mouse still
moves but nothing else works and I can't even ping the box (priority
On the backend machine (Debian with 2.6.15 kernel, no video card) I
haven't been able to use mythtranscode since September.

Other than that, I love Myth.  Except that some recordings are
perfect and some are so full of artifacts I can't even play them
because the frontend keeps pausing all by itself and I have to rewind
to get it to play through the errors again.  Why does it work the
second time?  Why does the length of the show keep changing?

carrying the cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)