[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Tony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 17:44:12 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> My only real gripe with the TV side of Myth right now is the CPU
> requirements for HD which has caused playback hickups since I barely
> meet the requirements. I'm sure with a >4000+ Athlon I wouldn't have
> this issue.

I've found out that the CPU requirements aren't as high as you might
think.  I originally built up a test rig for HD with an Athlon XP
2800+ as a combined FE/BE, and was pretty disappointed; the playback
was full of studdering and the sound would break up all the time.
Didn't matter if I used libmpeg2, XvMC, none of the settings worked
well.

Last weekend, I moved the HD-3K card over to the full-time
backend-only machine, and now the same frontend plays back HD without
a hitch, even without XvMC.  I'm guessing the problem was disk I/O.
The test box had some old SCSI 2 disks I scrounged up, and the real
backend machine has new SATA disks.  I have another frontend with a
900MHz slot A Athlon that can almost play back HD.  Tonight I'm going
to recompile it to enable XvMC and see if it'll pull it off that way.

-- Tony  brummett at gmail.com