[mythtv-users] does mythtranscode affect audio levels?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:27:52 UTC 2006

On 04/04/06, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Does anyone else notice that mythtranscode seems to dampen audio
> levels in the result?
>
> I usually auto-mythtranscode all my OTA HDTV recordings down to
> MPEG-4, with the volume settings set to "uncompressed" and 100%
> volume. I've noticed that these recordings always seem to be somewhat
> muted, so I have to turn up the volume on the audio receiver. The
> non-HD commercials are always much louder, but I always assumed it was
> just because they were commercials. The other digital non-HD stuff is
> also at a normal level, so then I just assumed there was something
> messed up in the HDTV broadcast itself. (The defining characteristic
> seems to be that HDTV content is "muted", while non-HD content is at a
> normal volume.)
>
> However, I accidentally removed the auto-mythtranscode for a recording
> (FOX 720p "24"), and noticed during playback that the volume levels
> are "normal", in that I can leave the volume at a normal level.
>
> Does anyone else notice this quirk of mythtranscode for HDTV content?
>
> Is there maybe something I have messed up in my configuration?

When you transcode HDTV material, does the process also down-mix the
audio from digital 5.1 to analog 2.0 audio, or does it keep the 5.1
soundtrack and just transcode the video? Although I don't have access
to HDTV here in the UK, when I've played with DVD material in the past
I've had similar some experiences with the converted audio being
quieter than the source material.

Nick