[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio wrong

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Wed Apr 5 18:28:04 UTC 2006

The aspect ratio seems to be wrong when I play tv on the computer screen.

This is for video grabbed from a PVR-350 from NTSC and played back via X on my
regular display. I have the playback window set for 800x600.

It appears the default playback has black bars on the top and bottom and the
display part is stretched horizontally. That's with the aspect mode set to
"Off". It appears the same if press W to go to 4:3 mode. And of course much
worse if I go to any of the 16:9 modes.

It appears more or less correct in "Fill" and maybe "4:3 Zoom" though it's
hard to tell.

I don't remember having this problem previously and I don't think I've changed
anything since I remember it working.

Why does mythtv set the weird 480x480 mode on the PVR anyways and then have to
stretch it back to the right aspect ratio? If I just play raw video from it
using mplayer it feeds mpeg in the correct aspect ratio automatically.

--
greg