[mythtv-users] UPnP Client?

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Tue Apr 4 22:21:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:22:02 +0100
Jan Oonk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I searched on the mythtv website and the mailinglist but all I can find is postings about upnp server.
>
> I want to build a HTPC with Linux. This will be located near my TV and stereo down stairs. In another room I have a Media Server installed (TwonkyMedia) on my NSLU2. The HTPC must be able to do PVR _and_ be able to stream my music, pictures, video from my MediaServer(NSLU2) to my MythTV box. I know MythTV can do PVR :) but the other is that possible?
>
> Or are their better ways to do what I want?
>
> greetings Jan

A bit late to the conversation but...

If you want to make your myth box into a uPNP client for video you can
do the following. I suspect you can do the music and photos too, but i
have not bothered with that.

1. install twonkymedia on the slug - oops you have that already.

2. install djmount on your myth box http://djmount.sourceforge.net/

djmount will search for uPNP servers on your lan and mount them all in
virtual directories under the mount point you give it.

3. point djmount to a subdirectory of the place where you store your
mythvideo video files. For example if you store your mythvideo files
under /mnt/videos you want to start djmount with something like

djmount /mnt/videos/upnp  (having made the dir /mnt/videos/upnp

4. The video files now appear in your file system under /mnt/videos/upnp
as playlist files - I cannot remember the extension, but you may need to
add the extension to the list of files that mythvideo recognises
(somewhere in setup). You also need to customise the mplayer command to
treat the file as a playlist, rather than the video file itself. In
other words the player command should look like this:

mplayer (your normal options) -playlist %s

5. Depending how you have mythvideo set up (ie whether or not it
automatically scans your video directory ) you may then need to go into
mythvideo's setup to generate a rescan of all the files. This might take
a while over the network.

The other option of course is to simply nfs or cifs mount the video
directory of your slug to a subdirectory of /mnt/videos. Then you don't
need step 4, the files just appear as if on the local drive, but when
you play them they come over the network via nfs or cifs. (cifs is the
samba protocol, I believe it is more capable than smbfs but I can't
remember what gave me that impression)

--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>