[mythtv-users] Mythmusic: strange id3 genre tags -OR- SQL search and replace

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 4 17:44:32 UTC 2006

Shawn Kwang wrote:
> After a long wihle I finally managed to organize most of my music
> collection's id3 tags the way I like.  I initially order music my genre.
> After getting mythmusic to scan my music directory I go to select music
> and what I see under "All my music" is a list of genres.
>
>     What is strange is that I get things like "17Rock" "0Blues"
> "32Classical" in addition to "Rock" "Blues" and "Classical."
>
>     I use easytag 1.1 to orgainize my music.  In addition I have used
> KDE's file manager to look at the id3 tags.  There is no "17Rock" or
> anything like that when I go to edit the id3 information.  The only place
> that it shows up is in MythMusic.  I want to clarify that I don't have two
> copies of my music tree.  My music seems to randomly be assigned to either
> the normal genre or to this strange numerical genre.  So two tracks under
> one artist may have one listed under Rock, the other listed under 17Rock.
>
>     I would like to know if anyone else has seen this strange behavior and
> what I can do about it.
>
> Which leads me to...
>
>     MySQL Search and Replace. I figure one solution is to search and
> replace all instances of "17Rock" with "Rock" in the musicmetadata table,
> genre column in MYSQL.  However, I don't know any SQL commands and am
> asking if someone could lend me a hand or point me to some documentation.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Shawn Kwang

I've seen this problem with the genre's myself.

The sql command you need to correct the genres using the "Rock" example

$mysql -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
mysql> UPDATE musicmetadata SET genre = 'Rock' WHERE genre = '17Rock';

The above assumes you haven't changed the default user, password or
database name.

Paul H.