[mythtv-users] using WinTV PVR-350 to play AM/FM radio? (slightly OT)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 17:37:22 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> > > I don't think that's what he's suggesting. Just record the mp3 or ogg
> > > audio, then have the ability to display a visualization when you play it
> > > back.
> >
> > Ok, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.
> >
> > I think the scheduling a
> >

> Oh I hate when gmail sends messages before I'm done typing...

do you have keyboard shortcuts on?

> What I was going to say was that I think the scheduling and recording should
> probably be looked at before too much work is done on the interface, since
> there are technically already ways to play back the recordings, even if they
> aren't ideal.
>
> Are radio recordings that much different than other media files / mp3s? I
> agree that mythmusic has a bad interface, but I see that the goals of the
> mythmusic interface are very similar to what we will want for a radio
> recording playback interface - we will want a list of all the mp3/m4as,
> we'll want to sort by ID3 meta tags (for mp3s, this would be artist, title,
> album, for radio recordings, the equivalents would be the station name /
> program name, probably stored in the artist/trackname fields). We'll want
> all the basic abilities of an mp3 player, play, fast forward, skip, random,
> etc. It seems like it would make more sense to extend (and fix) mythmusic
> than start from scratch. I think I personally would just want the ability to
> grab the mp3 and send it to my iPod or stream it to a desktop media player
> rather than having to sit in front of a TV, but I can see why it would be
> good to allow mythfrontend to work as a recording radio. (I can't say how
> many times since I got my mythTV set up that I've listened to the radio and
> wanted to rewind to hear something again or pause)

I disagree somewhat in the playback ideas. I do agree that exporting
to portable media devices should definitely be a big part of this, I
would even extend that idea to make it possible to stream to those
networked audio player device things (I don't have one, but I can see
this being a great feature).

Anyway, I have my MythTV setup connected to my hometheatre which
doubles as my "stereo", so *I* would want to have a nice interface for
playing back radio this way, as well, many people have remote
frontends in rooms without radios, so even if you are playing it back
through the TV its better than nothing. In that regard, I don't see
organization and playback of recorded radio needing to be much
different than how TV is handled. I think the current Watch Recordings
area is a fine layout for Radio, you could even replace the Preview
picture with an image associated with the show (cause everyone loves
eye candy!).

So back to the scheduling thing.... I looked over that publicradiofan
page and its great, easily scrapable. I'm willing to bet we could even
work with the site's maintainer to develop an easier, less server
intensive method to grab the station information. The fellow, Kevin
Kelly is an MIT professor, Math and Computer Science, will probably
enjoy the project!

Even with just this information I bet most peoples needs would be met,
and regardless would be a great start. Along with a method for
inserting manual recording times it would at least get the project
started and allow people to take advantage.

What we need now is to have someone who knows what they are doing look
at the Myth source to see what it would take to have the current
scheduler work with radio stations. I'd assume new routines for
tuning, etc would be needed, but as long as the scheduler knows
whether a show is a radio show or tv show I can't imagine the rest
being difficult...

--
Steve