[mythtv-users] using WinTV PVR-350 to play AM/FM radio? (slightly OT)

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Apr 4 17:14:57 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:

> I don't think that's what he's suggesting. Just record the mp3 or ogg
> > audio, then have the ability to display a visualization when you play it
> >
> > back.
>

> Ok, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.
>
> I think the scheduling a

Oh I hate when gmail sends messages before I'm done typing...

What I was going to say was that I think the scheduling and recording should
probably be looked at before too much work is done on the interface, since
there are technically already ways to play back the recordings, even if they
aren't ideal.

Are radio recordings that much different than other media files / mp3s? I
agree that mythmusic has a bad interface, but I see that the goals of the
mythmusic interface are very similar to what we will want for a radio
recording playback interface - we will want a list of all the mp3/m4as,
we'll want to sort by ID3 meta tags (for mp3s, this would be artist, title,
album, for radio recordings, the equivalents would be the station name /
program name, probably stored in the artist/trackname fields). We'll want
all the basic abilities of an mp3 player, play, fast forward, skip, random,
etc. It seems like it would make more sense to extend (and fix) mythmusic
than start from scratch. I think I personally would just want the ability to
grab the mp3 and send it to my iPod or stream it to a desktop media player
rather than having to sit in front of a TV, but I can see why it would be
good to allow mythfrontend to work as a recording radio. (I can't say how
many times since I got my mythTV set up that I've listened to the radio and
wanted to rewind to hear something again or pause)

 - Jeff