[mythtv-users] Questions about Storage

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 17:30:40 UTC 2006

On 4/2/06, Anu Mathew <evuraan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've 500G of storage, and that's from one single drive (SATA of course).
>
>  I need to grow  and hence this:
>
>   Question is, does anybody use special storage hardware? Or just RAID on
> Linux?
>
>  Many thanks in advance.

Is this for your recordings drive or archival? For recording drive
RAID5 is great for its speed, it will let you record, watch and
commflag many shows at once (obviously variables have to be taken into
account in designing your RAID5 setup).

For Archival LVM works fine with no redundency. RAID5 works well again
here for redundency. You could also sit an LVM ontop of a RAID array.
So if you have say 3x300GB and 4x120GB you could RAID5 the 300GB
drives as one array and the 120GB drives as another array and then run
an LVM on top of them to get one large equivalent drive with
redundency.

--
Steve