[mythtv-users] PVR in a different room from the TV

Timothy McFadden tim at timandjamie.com
Mon Apr 3 14:16:45 UTC 2006

I don't use a cable box, but the principles should be the same.

I have my linux box in my utility closet in my basement.  I run AV out
of my system into a channel modulator.  The modulator modulates my
linux box to channel 3, injects this into the other OTA channels
comming from an antenna, and sends it to a coax cable.

The coax cable then goes into an IR splitter (still coax).  The coax
goes from the basement to my family room, then to an IR injector, then
to the back of my VCR.  The injector is connected to an IR receiver.

In other words:
Linux (RCA AV cables) -> Modulator (coax out) -> IR Splitter (coax
out) -> (coax all the way to the family room) -> IR Injector (coax
out) -> ANT IN (on the back of the VCR)

When I want to watch MythTV, I just change my VCR to channel 3.  The
remote still works because the IR signals are injected into the coax
line, sent down to the basement, split, and sent to my PVR-350 (the
splitter comes with a small IR transmitter that I just taped to the
PVR-350's IR receiver).

Sure, it's slightly complicated.  But it works great for me.  I don't
use the mouse/keyboard, but I needed to I would have to find a
workaround (IR mouse/keyboard should work with another xmitter on the
splitter).  I also only own one TV (gasp!).  I have remote buttons for
starting the FE, restarting BE/FE, and rebooting (as a last resort).

Eventually I'll get a separate FE and I'll just use ethernet.  For now
this works great.

-Tim