[mythtv-users] PVR in a different room from the TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 2 11:28:20 UTC 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 10:31 PM, Pete Cap wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is just a general setup question.
>
> All the setups I have seen have the PVR sitting right next to the
> TV.  I would like to avoid this if possible and keep the box near
> all the other comps in the office, about 20 feet away.  Can I just
> control the TV/cable box with a long coax cable or something?
>
> Playback is not an issue, since I will probably be using my xbox to
> select stored video to play back.

If I understand you correctly you want to have the computer someplace
else but keep the STB on top of the TV ?

You'll have to run either coax or video/audio cables from the STB to
the capture card on the computer, assuming that you need the STB to
get a usable signal.

Since you will probably have to control the STB with an IR blaster of
some sort you could just run a cable for that blaster from the
computer to the STB, parallel to the coax/signal cables.

It would be a cleaner solution to have a second STB at the computer,
then you would only have to run a coax to it, but I don't know what
your cost would be for that second box.

Or, just put the primary STB by the computer and just use your
frontend to watch live TV, no need for a long "control" or anything
else cable, and all you need is network going to your X-Box.