[mythtv-users] Introducing TapeWorm, a parasitic MythTV front end for Windows

David Woods david at spurgeonwoods.com
Mon Apr 3 02:07:46 UTC 2006

> > TapeWorm is not currently an Open Source project, but I am open to
> > collaboration.  If someone knows how to distribute Python-based
> applications
> > on Linux, and wants to donate a little work to a software project that
> is
> > trying to raise money for a charity serving children with cancer, please
> > e-mail me.
>
> I certainly have no difficulty with donating to a child cancer charity -
> I do it every year in my own town to a charity I know works well and
> works locally. Your chosen charity probably works well to. All power to
> it and good on you for the effort to suport it.
>
> But.... you may hit the mark wrong with trying to mix a closed license
> product with an open source crowd. I am not making any comment on the
> rights or wrongs of your approach, just saying that there may be a
> mis-match.
>
> Nevertheless looking forward to trying tapeworm :)

I think I now see the source of confusion.

The rest of the message you quote from, which you cut out, indicates that
someone asked me what it would take to create a Linux version of TapeWorm.
My response what that it was possible, but that I lacked one particular
piece of knowledge.  True, if someone really wanted a Linux version of
TapeWorm and was willing to help out, I wouldn't turn down the offer, but
what I was trying to do was to make it clear that TapeWorm isn't Open Source
because I didn't want to hook anyone in under false pretenses.

So my original message wasn't really an open solicitation of help, the way
the out-of-context quote sounds.  It was a reply to a question about what it
would take to make a specific something happen.  The quoted segment was
actually intended to discourage friendly open-source types (amongst whom I
count myself in several instances) from seriously considering what I was
talking about.  I wasn't really expecting anyone to pursue the issue
further.

And as another person in the thread pointed out, since the MythTV front end
runs on Linux, there's no reason to create a Linux version of TapeWorm,
which attempts to deliver only a very small portion of the front end
functionality to a different platform.

Sorry for the confusion.  Probably just should've said "no".

David