[mythtv-users] backend takes 100% CPU recording DVB-T

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 1 21:25:56 UTC 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Robin Hill wrote:

> On Sat Apr 01, 2006 at 06:22:45PM +0100, Chris Hubball wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm running 0.19 and I'm finding that the backend is taking 100% when
>> recording DVB-T from my Nova-T card.
>>
>> This makes Live TV impossible because it has no CPU time left for
>> playback.
>>
>> I would expect the backend to only take a small amount of CPU time
>> because it's basically just saving the MPEG-2 stream to a file.
>>
>> I'm thinking that maybe there is some transcoding going on, however I
>> think I've disabled all transcode options.
>>
>> Does anyone out there have a Nova-T running with a reasonable CPU
>> usage?
>>
> That definitely sounds odd - mythbackend runs at between 5-15% CPU
> usage
> when capturing a single stream (on an AMD Sempron at 1GHz in low power
> mode).  I'd check whether you're doing commercial flagging (I've
> disabled this as I find it very inaccurate and it's quick enough to
> stick
> in cut points around the commercials later) as this'll add some load.

Commflag shouldn't add *that* much load unless you have told the
system to run such jobs at "high" CPU usage, which is not the
default, and a warning is displayed when you set this parameter
telling you of this possibility.

If you can SSH into the machine or otherwise get to a prompt while
this is happening running "top" should show you what is taking up all
the CPU cycles.