[mythtv-users] backend takes 100% CPU recording DVB-T

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Sat Apr 1 21:14:56 UTC 2006

On Sat Apr 01, 2006 at 06:22:45PM +0100, Chris Hubball wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running 0.19 and I'm finding that the backend is taking 100% when
> recording DVB-T from my Nova-T card.
>
> This makes Live TV impossible because it has no CPU time left for playback.
>
> I would expect the backend to only take a small amount of CPU time
> because it's basically just saving the MPEG-2 stream to a file.
>
> I'm thinking that maybe there is some transcoding going on, however I
> think I've disabled all transcode options.
>
> Does anyone out there have a Nova-T running with a reasonable CPU usage?

That definitely sounds odd - mythbackend runs at between 5-15% CPU usage
when capturing a single stream (on an AMD Sempron at 1GHz in low power
mode).  I'd check whether you're doing commercial flagging (I've
disabled this as I find it very inaccurate and it's quick enough to stick
in cut points around the commercials later) as this'll add some load.

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___