[mythtv-users] RAID BTDT's

Support [ Ian Ward ] support at cyberpro.com.au
Sat Apr 1 12:22:16 UTC 2006

> I'm using software RAID now, I have 2 250GB SATA drives running
> (software) RAID-0. I'd like to add a drive and move the array to
> RAID-5, but I worry about the CPU overhead of having to calculate the
> parity data.

I am in the same position. I am transitioning from a singel BE/FE to
dedicated BE and multiple FE's
I am about to upgrade from a single SATA 300  to an array.  I figure I
need redundancy simply because I will have 4 drives and the odds of a
failure in the next 24 months are reasonably high and I wouldn't like to
lose all that content

Currently, all the regular TV shows are set to automatically transcode
to mpeg4.  For Movies, I make sure the cutlist is correct and manually
transcode to mpeg4.

Anyone who has a large raid-5 array happy with the performance?  I have
to look into it, but can transcode be set to use a different disk for
it's temporary files ( perhaps a ramdisk for /tmp ) ?