[mythtv-users] Prices on LCD displays?

Mike Grusin mgrusin at comcast.net
Sat Apr 1 02:26:28 UTC 2006

Andrew Barr:
> I'm not ready to spend upwards of $60 or $70 for this thing.
> any bargains anyone knows of for a cheapskate like me would be much
> appreciated.

Go SN41G2! (My Mythbox is happily living in one).

I'm a cheapskate too, which pushes me into building (occasionally
successfully ;) a lot of this stuff (that's what led me to MythTV).  I
haven't tried this particular hack, but if you have a little bit of
electronic skills, it's apparently fairly straightforward to interface
standard LCD panels ($5-$25) to a parallel port.  See
http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/ for instructions and code. (I believe, but am
not 100% sure, that Myth will be able to use such an interface.  Readers?)

I will note from other experiences, that after you've gone to all the time
and trouble of finding the right panel, wiring it up, troubleshooting it,
dremeling out a square hole in a 3.5" cover etc.; $60 for a crystalfontz
panel won't seem like so much money. ;) But then again, hacking (in the good
sense) is at the very core of the MythTV experience, so if you have the
background (or want it), go for it!

Have fun (that's the main thing), -Mike G.