[mythtv-users] mythrename.pl

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 29 01:33:12 UTC 2005

Jack Perveiler wrote:

>In SVN mythlink.pl becomes mythrename.pl which, as it's name implies, can
>actually rename files in addition to creating pretty links to them.
>
>Because mythlink.pl just made extra links I was calling it with an hourly cron
>job.  But now that the actual file names are being modified, is it still safe
>to do this with such impunity?  Or should I worry about accidently renaming
>files that are currently open by the backend?

You could still use the --link (or --dest or any of it's other names)
command line option, which tells it to make links in the specified
link/dest directory.  (Don't tell Chris I told you about this because he
prefers changing the filenames.  :)

This is my preferred approach because I like having all my shows listed
in a "clean" directory--i.e. without all the PNG's (thumbnails) and
other junk (i.e. my MythVideo, MythMusic, MythGallery, etc.
directories).  Also, creating the links allows you to have multiple
different "views"--i.e. sorted by title/original airdate, title/record
date, recording group/title, category/title, etc.

Mike