[mythtv-users] Creating a software remote control for touch screens - help

Luc Gallant llgallan at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 23 14:49:46 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I have a touch screen that I want to use with mythtv. Since the menu options in
mythtv aren't mouse clickable, and that there is no way to navigate when in live
TV mode (with the mouse), I want to make a little remote control that would
always be on top of mythfront end. That application would send keystrokes to
mythfrontend.

I just can't decide myself on how to do this. I looked into a few options

 - going through lirc (seems to be the best option)
 - build a component in mythtv that the application could interact with (seems
tough)
 - do like myth web remote control (I don't think would work, since they use
KBDE which is a virtual keyboard. The virtual keyboard wouldn't work because the
application in focus would receive the keystrokes.

Any ideas would be helpful. I am not extremely experienced with programming gui,
so I would also like to know from the people on the list if this little project
should be feasible without getting too too deep into the mythtv code. (if at all)

Luc Gallant