[mythtv-users] Multiple Video Card Possible?

Tony McDowell svet-am at cableone.net
Mon Sep 19 21:35:20 UTC 2005

I've been researching MythTV for some time now.   I've just come in to a
fair amount of money, so I think it's time to finally get off my duff and
build the MythTV box.

I have already decided that I'm going to use the Hauppauge PVR-350 for the
video encoding / decoding (nothing fancy, probably just 640x480 for
personal use on the TV).

However, I'd like to know if it's necessary to have an additional video
card for output.  I've got plenty of plain-jane video cards with TV-out,
but if the Hauppauge card is doing my MPEG2 decoding, does the decoder also
handle the output of the stream to the TV-out port?

Also, what is the X Windows support like for the Hauppauge card?  Since I
intend on hooking the MythTV box directly to a TV, can the hauppauge card
drive the TV?

thanks!
.tony