[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:40:57 UTC 2005

On 19/09/05, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 07:24, Nick wrote:
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>

> > *IMPORTANT* - the slave backend (SBE) needs to be configured so that
> > it can connect to the master backend (MBE) and database.
> >

> I believe I have that working now.  From the log file on the slave
> backend I get this:
>
> 2005-09-19 08:31:01.812 Connecting to master server: 192.168.0.3:6543
> 2005-09-19 08:31:01.816 Connected successfully
>
> I am also getting guide listings now on the slave backend/frontend.
>
> > You may need to give access to the SBE machine in MySQL (covered in
> > the official mythtv docs) if you haven't already, and possibly enable
> > networking in /etc/my.cnf (the MySQL config file). On the SBE, the
> > ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file will contain the settings for connecting to
> > the database.
> >

> Did this.
>
> > Getting networking sorted is probably the biggest hurdle. Adding the
> > extra capture cards on the SBE is pretty easy.
> >

> > 1) Configure the new capture cards on the SBE using mythtvsetup on SBE
> >

> Did this.  Setup /dev/video0 and /dev/video1  (/dev/video2 is not
> working yet, this is a different problem with a PVR-500)
>
> > 2) You do not create/configure new video sources on the SBE, these are
> > only ever configured/created on the MBE. Once you can connect to the
> > MBE/DB MythtV will have access to the video sources available on the
> > MBE machine.
> >

> If this was done on the SBE should this be deleted?  On the first couple
> of passes at this I skipped the step of creating video sources but when
> I tried to setup the input connections the only option was none.

I would think so. You need to make sure you do not have the SBE
connecting to MySQL on the SBE but on the machine where the DB is
(likely the MBE). Can you connect to the database successfully on the
MBE from the command line on the SBE (using the mythtv
login/password)?

$ mysql -h $DBSERVER -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

where $DBSERVER is the IP/name of the machine where the mythtv database is.

Also make sure a firewall is not blocking access to the MBE for MySQL
if the above does not work.

Nick