[mythtv-users] Re: One tuner on PVR-500 (was Re: PVR-500 configuration)

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Fri Sep 16 13:58:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:52:46PM -0700, Stefan Wrobel wrote:
> Eolake,

It's Dave, actually...  My .sig is just a quote from Eolake (and is
seems that the article I'm quoting has disappeared, so I need to find
a new .sig anyhow).

> I had the same problem and thought that it was a configuration problem. I
> tried and tried and tried to get it to work, but finally I got wise and
> fired the card up on a windows box ... the 2nd tuner was dead.

I have considered the possibility of a dead tuner...  If that is the
case, then I guess I'll just have to put 2 PVR-500s in my myth box
since I won't want it to be out of commission while waiting for an
RMA to go through.  (As if my hard drive isn't filling up too fast
with only one tuner already.)

> Hopefully both
> tuners on this one will be good. Do both tuners show up on cat /proc/pci?

My myth box's kernel has deprecated /proc/pci, but lspci shows both:

0000:02:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
0000:02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

> Both of mine did, but if i did ivtvctl -a -d /dev/video1 I got all sorts of
> screwy values for brightness, contrast, etc that clued me in that maybe
> something just wasn't working right with the hardware.

Something like

Brightness = -475234752
Contrast = -1054774144
Saturation = -852037632

you mean?  I was ascribing that to the card not having accepted the
commands sent by the driver to initialize it, but I see now that, if
I run ivtvctl more than once, I get different values for those three
settings each time.  That's not good...  Guess I will need to try it
on a Windows box and see what happens there.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that