[mythtv-users] Re: One tuner on PVR-500 (was Re: PVR-500 configuration)

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Sep 16 14:31:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 09:58, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:52:46PM -0700, Stefan Wrobel wrote:

> > I had the same problem and thought that it was a configuration problem. I
> > tried and tried and tried to get it to work, but finally I got wise and
> > fired the card up on a windows box ... the 2nd tuner was dead.
>
> I have considered the possibility of a dead tuner...  If that is the
> case, then I guess I'll just have to put 2 PVR-500s in my myth box
> since I won't want it to be out of commission while waiting for an
> RMA to go through.  (As if my hard drive isn't filling up too fast
> with only one tuner already.)
>
> > Hopefully both
> > tuners on this one will be good. Do both tuners show up on cat /proc/pci?
>
> My myth box's kernel has deprecated /proc/pci, but lspci shows both:
>
> 0000:02:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
> iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
> 0000:02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
> iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>
> > Both of mine did, but if i did ivtvctl -a -d /dev/video1 I got all sorts of
> > screwy values for brightness, contrast, etc that clued me in that maybe
> > something just wasn't working right with the hardware.
>
> Something like
>
> Brightness = -475234752
> Contrast = -1054774144
> Saturation = -852037632
>
> you mean?  I was ascribing that to the card not having accepted the
> commands sent by the driver to initialize it, but I see now that, if
> I run ivtvctl more than once, I get different values for those three
> settings each time.  That's not good...  Guess I will need to try it
> on a Windows box and see what happens there.

I think I am seeing the exact same problem.  I just tried to manually
adjust the brightness setting on the second tuner on the PVR-500.

[root at terraslave ~]# ivtvctl -d /dev/video2 --set-ctrl=brightness=128
ioctl VIDIOC_S_CTRL ok

Brightness = 0
Contrast = 0
Saturation = -2146937321
Hue = -1072070410
Volume = 0
Mute = 0

Is there a bad batch of PVR-500's being shipped?