[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

David myth at dgreaves.com
Thu Sep 15 19:58:54 UTC 2005

Poul Petersen wrote:

>>My terrible options are as follows:
>>

>	Another option is to run LVM+[XJ]FS on, say, RAID5. Then
>if a disk is failing, you can simply pull it and run in degraded
>mode until the replacement arrives. Of course that doesn't help
>you *now*...
>
>	BTW, the software raid tools for linux actually support
>growing, even in a RAID5 configuration. Now before you get
>excited, md can not currently change the number of devices in
>a RAID5,

can too!  <grin>

(although it's only supported in EVMS - raidreconf has as many failure
reports as success)

David
PS - OK, you said 'md' so technically you're right :) EVMS uses md but
seems to have 'layered' stuff on top. I don't use it as I'm happy with
mdadm and fine-grained control right now - others may like it more.