[mythtv-users] How to fix Movie posters on FE

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 11:32:28 UTC 2005

On 15/09/05, PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
> You shouldn't be running MythTV as root.  There is no reason
> for /home/.mythtv to exist because you installed MythTV
> as root.  Bad thing.  In general, it's not good to
> installing anything as root because you're lazy.  Sorry,
> that's what you said...

What do you mean by install as root?

I'm sure I got an error when I tried to install (using rpm) as
anything other than root. So what I did was:

create the mythtv account
install the mythtv rpms as root
ran mythtvsetup as user mythtv
ren mythfilldatabase as user mythtv

Now I'm starting mythbackend  as a service (which I presume means it's
running as root).

And I'm starting mythfrontend as user mythtv.

Is this right?