[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:25:23 UTC 2005

On 14/09/05, Brian McEntire <brian.mcentire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all -
>
>  I'm finishing up the parts list for a home theater PC to run Myth. Primary
> usage will be as a front-end to feed the HDTV. I plan to use DVI to connect
> to the TV.
>
>  Here's my parts list, hopefully if I've made any glarring mistakes or
> ommisions, someone can clue me in:
>
>  Mother Board: ASUS P5LD2-VM Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel
> Motherboard
>  CPU: Intel Pentium 4 650 (3.4 GHz, HT) Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA
> 775 EM64T Processor
>  Memory: Crucial Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered
> DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel
>  Video Card: MSI FX5200-TD128LF Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X
>
>  Case: generic for now, one I have already. Later: AHANIX MCE301B-A Black
> Aluminum MicroATX
>  DVD-R: one I have already
>  Hard disk: use a spare, then none.
>
>  Capture in back-end: PC HD-3000 for OTA ATSC (or possibly unencrypted QAM
> from cable)
>

>  I will start out using a spare disk until it is all working, then I plan to
> make it diskless and have it mount the needed OS file systems over NFS.
>

>  What have I missed?
>
>  I saw there are lots of Nvidia 5200FX based cards and also higher numberd
> GPUs (ie 5600...)  These had varying amounts of memory and core speeds, etc.
> Does any of that make a difference for HDTV out? Are there any brand
> favorites here or brands to stay away from?
>
>  Thanks for any suggestions!

I would try to ensure you have a fanless video card and a quiet/silent
CPU cooler (such as a Zalman) to keep the noise levels down whilst
you're watching. I think a 5200-based card would be fine for HDTV -
you just need a beefy CPU for playback.

Also, make sure you have a decent audio system in the machine, ideally
with SPDIF if possible (if you have a receiver with SPDIF or are
thinking of getting one).

Nick