[mythtv-users] Where/how to plug in out-bound sound?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 03:01:51 UTC 2005

<snip>
> >> I have an Audigy (and onboard sound, hope that doesn't cause
> >> problems) but there's no place to plug in the standard 1/4"
> >> connectors, at least that I can see. What's the usual process?
> >> A Y-cable? What's the jack size on the computer-side, does
> >> anyone know off-hand? It doesn't seem to be quite 1/4".)

Are you the same guy who posted earlier about Jack? I only ask because
1/4" is a standard size for music/studio gear, but pretty much unheard
of in the PC world. Far too big.

> > A y-cable is a Very Bad Thing (tm) IMHO.  I would use the
> > output of the audigy.  It's probably a 1/8" jack.  Just get a
> > 1/8"-1/4" adapter and plug away.

That is if you really need to run 1/4" patch cables. 1/8" patch cables
and 1/8"-RCAs, are pretty cheap down at Radio Shack, or if you're
really bloody broke, just make one from an old set of headphones.

> Well, okay, but the set-up is this: The Audigy has a number of 1/8"
> outputs, but only one for front stereo. The input has a number of inputs,
> but only a pair (stereo) 1/4" for left and right speakers. I have the
> Audigy breakout box but there's not much of use there for this context.
> (For example, there's a pair of 1/4" stereo ports, but they're input!)

I don't know the card, but I'm guessing that one is audio L/R front,
one L/R rear, one sub/center, one (or two) line-in (and mic-in), and
possibly others. Accessories are probably for ins not outs, since most
PC/home stereo setups work on 1/8", RCA, SPDIF, or other format, but
generally not 1/4", which tends to be for musical instrument outs or
low-end PA/instrument speakers. There shouldn't be any need for 1/4"
inch cables.

> So, how do I connect the 1/8" output to the pair input on the TV without a
> Y-cable--agreeing with you that they're a bad thing, but I don't see how
> else it's gonna happen.

You could see if you're gear supports SPDIF optical sound -- I've
never used it, but I'm told it's quite good. Or else you run the
soundcard to an external amplifier. I use my stereo's aux-ins. I've
also run them to my tv's aux-ins, with the video over composite RCA.
The sound comes out of the 1/8" stereo mini and it really doesn't
matter where or how you plug it in.

>Well, okay, but the set-up is this: The Audigy has a number of 1/8"
>outputs, but only one for front stereo. The input has a number of inputs,
>but only a pair (stereo) 1/4" for left and right speakers.

What soundcard do you have that's got 1/4" ports on it?