[mythtv-users] Where/how to plug in out-bound sound?

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Sep 14 02:21:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:14:40 -0700, PAUL WILLIAMSON
<pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:

>> OK, I've just gone for reinstalling the system, and am now looking to
>
>> plug  in sound...but how?
>
> Depends - directly to the TV or going through a stereo?

Directly to the TV.

>> I have an Audigy (and onboard sound, hope that doesn't cause
>> problems) but there's no place to plug in the standard 1/4"
>> connectors, at least that I can see. What's the usual process?
>> A Y-cable? What's the jack size on the computer-side, does
>> anyone know off-hand? It doesn't seem to be quite 1/4".)
>
> A y-cable is a Very Bad Thing (tm) IMHO.  I would use the
> output of the audigy.  It's probably a 1/8" jack.  Just get a
> 1/8"-1/4" adapter and plug away.  It also depends on
> how the sound is being amplified - through the TV or through the
> stereo.  If you are lucky, you could even use some sort of
> digital connection from the audigy to the sound system...

Well, okay, but the set-up is this: The Audigy has a number of 1/8"
outputs, but only one for front stereo. The input has a number of inputs,
but only a pair (stereo) 1/4" for left and right speakers. I have the
Audigy breakout box but there's not much of use there for this context.
(For example, there's a pair of 1/4" stereo ports, but they're input!)

So, how do I connect the 1/8" output to the pair input on the TV without a
Y-cable--agreeing with you that they're a bad thing, but I don't see how
else it's gonna happen.