[mythtv-users] Opinion on philips 32" hdtv..

Erik Pettersen pettersen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:41:06 UTC 2005

It's really a personal preference and viewing habit decision (4:3 vs 16:9)

Of course if you have a large enough of 4:3 the effective screen size
letterboxed can be comprable to a smaller widescreen TV...   I think
my wife would have been happier if I got a 4:3 as most of the content
is still SDTV... and the stretch modes either give people mishapen
heads or highlight the flaws in my analog cable signal or mpeg2
compression from PVR (but it still beats the pants off watching on the
old SDTV set!  It's still the same flaws just more noticeable on a
clearer/non-interlaced set)

Although all the conflicting opinions and impressions of picture
quality drove me slowly insane, I researched my CRT direct view
"budget" HDTV in the AVS forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=64

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=564537

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=533115

Re: the phillips: regular walmart has the black widescreen version of
this, best buy the silver widescreen version.  I realize you aren't
supposed to go by how the sets look in the store (although I have no
idea how you're supposed to shop for an HDTV then...), but the
phillips just looked awful to me and I *really* wanted to like it as
it's priced right and has a QAM/ATSC tuner! YMMV.

I ended up spending almost twice as much on an 30" LG widescreen CRT
(which has a bit of a dubious reputation in same forum).

Erik
--
http://www.byopvr.com  -- Build Your Own PVR site