[mythtv-users] Opinion on philips 32" hdtv..

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Mon Sep 12 18:14:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 12:41 -0400, Erik Pettersen wrote:
[snip]
> Re: the phillips: regular walmart has the black widescreen version of
> this, best buy the silver widescreen version.  I realize you aren't
> supposed to go by how the sets look in the store (although I have no

I'm not sure walmart would let you, but if you had a very small
pc/laptop with the hi definition connection you wanted to test and were
somehow able to configure it before going into the store, then maybe you
could hook it up and see what it looks like.

I do agree that comparing it based on whatever analog signal they are
feeding it isn't entirely fair.  All in all I'd have to recommend
windows with the manufacturers drivers during that kind of test, unless
you were sure you had everything figured out in linux.

Then again if it was a store with a great return policy, you could
always return it if you didn't like it.  Of course those things are
still quite heavy, but afaik a crt tv is still the best value.