[mythtv-users] TV choices - was: Could we install/run Mythtv withoutX-windows

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Sep 12 07:26:58 UTC 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 22:21, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:
> j> I think its going to be about 8-10' to the TV, but we're still
> j> shuffling furniture (off to move some now...). Been watching from
> j> about 6' away, and SDTV definitely shows its lack of resolution, but
> j> the HDTV stuff is amazing even if I'm an inch from the screen.
>
>         If you're willing to have a smaller display size for SD
> programs, you could use Myth's zoom mode to "zoom out".  Or you could
> set Myth up to switch to an X modeline with a smaller display area.

I'm quite familiar with Myth's xrandr support, had to make lots of use of that
with my old set. I plan to try running SDTV inside an 848x480p mode for
giggles, but I believe the big "problem" is that the set is just so
high-resolution and sharp, SD is going to look pretty crappy regardless. SD
stuff off my cable box hooked to the TV via both DVI or component video
(pushing a 480p mode for SDTV material) looks almost equally crappy already.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com