[mythtv-users] Off Topic - DVB-T, Muxes and reception...

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:55:09 UTC 2005

On 9/8/05, Jules Gosnell <jules at coredevelopers.net> wrote:
> If all muxes are being transmitted from the same transmitter, why should
> one bundle of channels feel like it is coming from the moon ? Are muxes
> simply s/w abstractions or do they correspond somehow to physical
> divisions in the h/w - i.e. is my problem mux maybe being pumped out at
> a lower power than all the others etc...

1. Not all muxes are transmitted with the same power. There's a
website somewhere that tells you the power of each mux for each
transmitter (should be linked from the freeview website).

2. The sensitivity of your aerial is not constant across all
frequencies. You can buy aerials that give you excellent reception for
certain frequency bands (you'll need to figure out which one is best
or your transmitter) or you can get a 'wideband' aerial that will give
you average reception over a frequency range that should cover any
transmitter (this is what most standard retailers will sell you).

Chances are that what you are reporting is due to '2' above. The 'bad'
mux is almost certainly on the highest or lowest frequency of the six
muxes for your transmitter, and you'll almost certainly be using a
'wideband' aerial. My suggestion would be to either buy a higher gain
'wideband' aerial or (probably better) buy an aerial that matches your
required frequencies.

Steve