[mythtv-users] HD3000 and High-Def

Tom E. Craddock Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Thu Sep 1 13:29:20 UTC 2005

A JM wrote:

> Good question Brian. I'm going to make another assumtion that no
> you'll need to have a cable box for the HD programming provided by the
> cable company but it might work on the lower channels that are being
> broadcasted in HD if I'm understanding correctly.
>
> Like i said thats a W.A.G...
>
> AJM,
>

> On 9/1/05, *A JM* <vbtalent at gmail.com <mailto:vbtalent at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     "Do you have an HDTV?"
>
>     I have an HD capable TV so it's without a converter if I
>     understand correctly? I was hoping I could do some recording in
>     Myth with an HD3000 then pass it to the TV for viewing, correct
>     assumption?
>
>     So, if I don't need a cable box with QAM then what would prevent
>     me from plugging an HD television into the cable and avoid paying
>     for HD content? Unless your referring to those channels being
>     broadcast in HD, in the states CBS or NBC, etc? Which I would
>     assume is similar to OTA?
>
>     The programming below is offered by insight and I might be able to
>     answer my own question on HD content if I'm assuming correctly...
>     The channels below are bing broadcast in HD and located in the
>     upper 500's but you need a cable box to get those upper channels.
>     Assuming I could tune those channels in, I'm guesssing I would be
>     able to watch the HD content if I have an HD television?
>
>     This is from Insight...
>
>     MORE HDTV PROGRAMMING:
>
>     When you get HDTV from Insight, you automatically get Universal HD.
>
>     Plus, when you sign up for the HD Pak, you'll get:
>     ESPNHD
>     HDNet
>     HDNet Movies
>     Discovery HD Theater
>
>     Thanks for the info guys. I'm just trying to digest and get a
>     reference point to where I stand in relation to preparedness for HD.

First off, as said many times on this list, top posting is evil.

Second, what is meant by the statement 'you dont need a cable box to get
HD channels' is that you can hook up the cable from the outlet on the
wall right into the pchdtv3k or air2pc cards and they will tune in any
HD channels using QAM that isnt encrypted.  Its not a gurantee that your
cable co wont encrypt them, esp the premium channels, you def wont be
able to get ESPN, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Showtime, HBO....you may be able
to get your local HD channels, thats about it.

Tom